Sunshine & Love

Sunshine & Love

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Maize

Oh. my. goodness.

Tonight, I was reminded why I never make treats while Adam is traveling....because I eat all of them myself! As part of my responsibilities at church, I work with girls from the ages of 12 to 18 every Sunday and Wednesday. Tonight, I brought caramel popcorn for a treat. I figured out about how many young women and how many other leaders would be there and made a huge bowl's worth (as in, I used the biggest bowl we own). Of course, no matter how much or how little I make, all of it never gets eaten. So, as I've been studying tonight, I've munched on...oh, you know...more than my share.

Lesson #1 - Let the girls starve next week.

Lesson #2 - I did actually learn something else from this experience. As I was mixing the caramel into the popcorn earlier today, the thought crossed my mind, Were the American Indians the first to pop corn around a fire?

Tonight when I got home, I got my answer from this gem of a website, the first one to pop up (pun!) on Google:
http://www.popcorn.org/EncyclopediaPopcornica/WelcometoPopcornica/HistoryofPopcorn/tabid/106/Default.aspx

First of all, based on the first bullet point, I think whoever created this website thinks corn and popcorn have no difference. But apparently (according to my indisputable source), popcorn's been around since the 1500s. I gotta hand it to you, Aztecs.

Just thinking about it takes me back to this baby that my parents used to (or do they still?) own:

Welp, back to studying and caramel popcorn. After all...why not? It does taste pretty amaize-ing.

Okay, I'm done with the puns.

4 comments:

  1. ha ha ha Don't worry, my parents still use that same popper. ;) p.s. I'm liking the new picture up top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a few photos taken back in January. Our photographer did a good job. And, now that I think about it, I think my parents' might have actually given their popper to me a few years ago, but it's somewhere in the attic. I should definitely pull it out and put it to good use.

      Delete
  2. Are you making fun of our poppers? Ha ha - I too like the new picture. Was it your wedding photographer?
    I too think of the Indians and popcorn - I also liked to put out a sheet on the floor and let 'er pop open style!
    It helps to have little boys and a dog tho'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not making fun, just laughing with you. ;) And thanks! A friend in our ward took some pictures for us back in January just for fun.

      Delete