Sunshine & Love

Sunshine & Love

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas thoughts

Today is Adam's second to last day of work (yay!) in 2012,

which means we get to spend 2 1/2 weeks straight together come tomorrow afternoon.

We checked the ward party and Adam's work party off our list last weekend,

and we picked up my mom and dad from the airport last night after their 2-week trip to Europe to visit my brother in England and see Rome during the holidays. I was only a little jealous.

It's only 5 days until Christmas, 12 days until 2013, and 26 days until I start my master's program,

and that last part makes me about 32% nervous and 68% excited.

I went caroling with some friends this week to visit some families in our ward. It made me really happy.

We are ready for Christmas except to wrap a few last gifts, and I have been working on my mom's gift this morning while watching dozens of Mormon Messages. They are amazing.

I am playing a piano solo, The First Noel, in church on Sunday.

I wonder what it would have been like to be present at the very first Noel, and I wonder if I would have gone "with haste," just as the shepherds did, to see the Christ.

I've been reading only about Christ's birth and life during the last week or so for my personal scripture study. Although we don't know much about them, I have been amazed at Mary and Joseph's willingness to submit to God's will; at their faith; at their quickness to respond to visions, revelations, and dreams; and at what a heavy but blessed opportunity it would be to raise and teach the literal Son of God, only to have Him become the Great Teacher.

I have gained a greater testimony of Jesus Christ, and my heart has been touched as I've studied His life. I am grateful to celebrate Him during this time, and I hope I can always keep this spirit of love, peace, and joy in my heart always. As cliche as it sounds, I feel calm, and I want to remember this feeling forever, as I do so many times after "the holidays" end each year.

I am excited to see my family. I am excited to give and receive gifts. I am excited for Christmas to come, but I don't want it to be over. There's just something about the lights, rendered service, and spirit that I wish could stick around all year long. Thankfully, I know I can get to know my Savior better and better as I grow closer to Him, not just in December.

I am grateful.


1 comment: